The lovely Christi at Ms. Fultz's Corner has tagged me this weekend on a cute little bloggy survey. This is the first one like this I've been tagged in, and I thought it would be a cute way to let you know a little about myself.
Here Are The Rules:
* Post these rules.
* Answer the 10 questions that the tagger posted for you.
* Create 10 questions of your own to ask the people that you're about to tag. (I'm missing how many people I'm supposed to tag, so I guess I get to make up my own number!)
Here are my questions:1. What's your most loved classroom read aloud? My favorite is probably Thank You Mr. Falker by Patricia Polacco. I cry every. single. time.
2. If you weren't teaching, what would you be doing instead? I'm not really sure. I'm not technically a teacher now. I've always known that I've wanted to be a teacher so if I wasn't teaching, I'd probably still be doing something in education or curriculum. Ideally, I'd be making phenomenal units for TpT that everyone in the world wants, and I could make enough money to support myself and my retirement on that! And then I'd get to spend all my time volunteering! :)
3. What are you most looking forward to during summer break? Well, I don't get much of a summer break. Because I'm in administration, my contract goes from August 1-June 30. I only get off the month of July and last year I didn't even get that off. I had a week off. There are some major changes coming my way at work, so I'm waiting to see what kind of break I'll get.
4. Can you think of your favorite teaching moment? One of the moments that stands out most to me was actually when I was student teaching. I was in a low income school and I struggled the entire semester. I didn't get support from administration and it was a trying experience. We were reading Number the Stars with my low readers. I decided to make it much more of a study on the Holocaust. One day we had a very interesting and in depth conversation on what America's role should have been with the Holocaust. My students said that Americans should have killed the Nazis to stop them. I asked how doing that was any better or different than what the Nazis were doing. It was some very higher order thinking, we didn't ever come to a solution, but I think it made an impact on those students.
5. If money wasn't a factor, what one item would you buy for your classroom? I don't have a classroom. I have an office. That I share. More space would be my one thing :) But for the classrooms in my building, I think a SmartBoard or another interactive whiteboard would be awesome for the teachers in my building.
6. Why did you start blogging? I started blogging after I discovered so many great teaching blogs through Pinterest. I had always created games and materials for teaching and so once I started my TpT store, I thought a blog was a great way for me to share my free items and to try and get my name out there. I never would have dreamed I would have had so many followers in such a short period of time.
7. What is your favorite non-school related thing to do? Giving back to my community. I spend most of my time outside of work and creating items, volunteering. I think we all need to do our own part to make the world a better place.
8. What advice would you give to a new teacher in your building? Work together! This is only our second year of existence. Our teachers give 110% and have to think outside of the box to meet their students needs and to help establish who we are as a school. The best way to keep your sanity throughout all of that is by working together.
9. Do you prefer real books or e-readers like Kindles? I prefer real books. I bought a friend's Nook a couple years ago and I've only used it once. I really need to give it a try again.
10. You know it's been a good day when...I come home and am not reaching for a glass of wine or a margarita! Ha!
Here are my 10 questions:
1. Who made the biggest impact on your decision to become a teacher?
2. What has been one of your favorite teaching moments?
3. What is your favorite thing to teach?
4. What is your favorite thing to do outside of school?
5. What do you plan to do over summer break?
6. If you weren't teaching, what would you be doing?
7. If there was only one thing people knew about me, I wish they would know....
8. What is your favorite tv show?
9. What are you addicted to? (think Diet Coke, flip flops, etc!) :)
10. What is the best non-children's book that you've ever read?
Here are the great bloggers I'd love to hear all about!